Autumn in the Lake District
30 September 2018
The Lake District is one of the most beautiful and the most popular areas to visit in the UK, and with good reason. No matter what time of year it is, this part of the country has so much to offer that you will be truly spoiled by things to enjoy.
Autumn is one of our favourite times of year to visit the Lakes for a number of reasons. So, what are the best reasons and the best things to do if you want to take an autumn break in the Lake District?
The Best Views
Of course, there are some spectacular views during the summer months when the weather is fine. However, as autumn falls and the colours start to change, you will be treated to a completely different and wonderful sight.
- Borrowdale – as the most wooded valley in the Lake District, this is the perfect place to see the change in colours. If you want to get the best view, take the walk up Castle Cragg where you can get a great vantage point.
- Stockley Bridge – this stone bridge sits over the River Derwent and offers some fantastic views up into the surrounding hills and mountains, including Great End and Scafell Pike.
- Brockhole – this house and gardens on Windermere has a number of features, but during the autumn, you’ll get some fantastic views of the Langdales where you’ll be able to admire the autumnal colours.
The Best Places to Eat
The Lake District is filled with great places to eat with incredible views. During autumn, you can expect to enjoy seasonal ingredients and cosy venues where you can sit by the fireside and enjoy your meal.
- L’Enclume – with two Michelin stars and five AA Rosettes, L’Enclume is widely regarded as one of the UK’s top restaurants. The restaurant itself has a luxuriously cosy feel to it which is perfect for autumn as you sit and enjoy the incredible tasting menu.
- Holbeck Ghyll – set in a fantastic country mansion near Windermere, Holbeck Ghyll holds three AA Rosettes. The restaurant has a warm feel to it and offers a breathtaking view of Lake Windermere.
- Lake Road Kitchen – this unique restaurant is focussed on providing fresh, seasonal ingredients to create exciting and delicious dishes. As autumn comes, you can expect to enjoy some fantastic autumnal ingredients.
The Best Reasons
There are so many reasons to visit the Lake District, and during autumn, there are plenty of great things to see and do and reasons why this time of year is perfect for your visit.
- Avoid the crowds – the summer months draw the crowds out to the Lake District but these crowds can start to die down during the autumn. While you can still get some great weather, you can avoid the crowds that are usually there earlier in the year and enjoy the tranquillity the area has to offer.
- Experience a different Lake District – with the autumnal colours and cooler weather, the Lakes can look completely different during the autumn than they do in the summer.
- Enjoy the events – the autumn brings a range of different events to the Lake District, from the Gin Festival in Kendal, to The Winter Droving in Penrith.
- Why not take yourself on a shopping trip to the Lakes ahead of the busy seasonal period? From paying a visit to Ambleside’s Lakeland Leather to browsing and buying at George Fisher in Keswick, there really is something for everyone.
Autumn is the perfect time to visit the Lake District, so don’t hesitate to book your autumnal holiday today. To find out more about our holiday parks in the Lake District, you can get in touch with a member of our team by calling 01524 781918.